September 1909 - A small group of boys lead by Colin Barnes formed themselves into the “Monkey Patrol” and 1st Muizenberg was born.
July 1910 - Although the group only became Sea Scouts in the 1940’s, they enjoyed a trip to Durban aboard the coal boat “Skramstad”, organized by Rev. Liddell.
1910 - Our troop was present at the celebrations of Union.
1910 – 1923 - Scouting received a page a week in the Cape Argus and Muizenberg featured regularly, participating in Annual scout Rallies at Rosebank and for many years won the tent pitching competition at the scout athletics held at Greenpoint.
1912 - Assisted at the Great Pageant of South Africa, attended the rally for the visit of Chief Scout Robert Baden Powell. This year also saw the opening of our Hall. With changing rooms and a stage it was affectionately known as “The Thin Temple” and in addition to scout meetings, housed many campfire stunts and dancing.
1913 - Attended the opening of the New Pier in Cape Town.
1917 - They attended the Annual Scouts Own at Rhodes Memorial where they received their own Troop Flag from Lord Buxton.
1919 - Helped with the flu epidemic
During the First World War, senior boys ran the Troop and four members saw active service. Troop numbers varied from 10 to at least 25.
Colin Barnes and his brothers formed the nucleus of 1st Muizenberg and eventually took over as Troop Scouter in 1924 with 7 scouts, 4 cubs, and ATS (Assistant Troop Scouter) Wally Hastings. Two years after he took over the Troop had a recorded 31 scouts, 15 cubs, and a Rover Crew of 5 boys. The C.D. Barnes award was first presented in 1969 to Peter Tyldesley.
The Troop continued actively during the 1930’s with varying numbers of Scouts and Scouters. Soon 2nd Muizenberg had come into being, lead by Troop Scouter “Sandpiper” Stern. In 1935, Mr. Sonnenberg presented the Guides and Scouts of 1st Muizenberg with a Hall. This was an old Tea room (built by Bill Baker), situated on the side of the vlei and bought complete with furniture and fittings. There was a landing stage under which the Scouts stored boats. The vlei came right up to the entrance. The ground was leased from the City Council.
The outbreak of war in 1939 saw the Rover Crew disappear over night. ATS D. Twine (Stork) became Troop Scouter until 1946 and during these years the boys became more and more interested in boating, becoming Sea Scouts in 1944. During this year the boys received training in whalers from the Royal Navy in Simonstown, when it was necessary to have permits to get into the Dockyards.
In 1947, 14 year old Alan Howie received the King’s Scout Royal Certificate. Presented by Governor General the Right Honorable G. Brian van Zyl, Chief Scout in South Africa, this certificate, signed by King George VI was to have been presented by the King, but unfortunately he was ill that day.
In 1950, Troop Scouter H. Eve had 50 scouts with a waiting list, yet in 1955 the Troop reached its lowest ebb when 5 Scouts under Troop Leader Richard Prior were without meeting place or Scouter. They refused to close the Troop and met on the green were the present Putt-Putt course exists. Eventually James Morom (Buffalo) took over running the Troop. At the end of 1958, Bob Gratton became Troop Scouter and by February 1960 he was Group Scouter, running both Troop and Pack and the recruiting to the Troop had once again closed.
In 1962 Rotary took over the old Municipal stable and created the Fairest Cape Youth Centre and 1st Muizenberg again had a permanent home. In 1964 the City Council granted land on the banks of Sandvlei in the bay of the Yacht basin, for a Troop boat pound. A fence was erected, grass planted and a Gateway planned. A monthly duty patrol was started. In 1968 the Sandvlei Divisional Sea Scout Base was founded. The gradual development of the Sea Scout Base, officially opened in 1970 and the building of a Saldanha Sailing Dinghy, for each Sea Scout Group brought about exciting Seamanship Competitions. Our Saldanha No. 3 was launched in 1972.
1980 and 1981 saw us continuing our winning streak with the South Peninsula Trophy. Work continued at the Sea Scout base with the bunks in our boat shed being installed in 1980. When the Troop felt a need for a second Saldanha, the Scouts held their first sponsored Sailing Marathon in 1986, to assist in raising funds and thanks to the hard work of a few, No. 22 was launched in August, 1986.
To sum up, people do not change. Throughout the past 100 years, boys have achieved great heights and got up to mischief. The Troop has been closed to enrollment because of high numbers and numbers have dwindled to 5. Scouters have come and gone through job movement, war commitments and changing interests. Committees have flourished and waned, people have been prominent or ineffectual, funds have been steady and non-existent. A flourishing Group in January can be floundering by December, but 1st Muizenberg has always bounced back! Someone, whether it be boy or adult has retained the unbroken thread and it has been both exciting and encouraging to see surnames re-occurring years later as either Scouters or Fathers of new Scouts.
PHOTOS FROM THE PAST